Data friction is one of the largest causes of waste in manufacturing, this often leads to wrong decisions.
In each of the 8 wastes of lean, poor/lack of access to data contributes in every category.
Look at the following examples:
- Transport: When, where and how much do we transport?
- Inventory: Do we have enough to fulfil the order?
- Motion: Why do we have to move to the other PC to review losses?
- Waiting: Todays task list is still not ready?
- Over production: What is the target?
- Over processing: Has the reaction completed?
- Defects: How long to the lab results?
- Unutilized Talent: Why don’t they give us access to the data and let us make the decisions?
Simplifying access to data has demonstrated success in:
- Eliminating waste
- Increasing engagement from our operators
- Enabling decision making to the shop floor